Friday, July 14, 2006

An open letter to Satanists: Part 1

Ok guys as you all can tell, I’ve always been fascinated by controversial shit. I wouldn’t say this is controversial but… depends on how you look at it la… Before I proceed any further, I must tell you guys (especially Christians) that I’m going to separate this story into a few posts and this story is NOT of an anti-Christian nature (although at first it may sound a bit like it).This is a story about a man named Sean Sellers. He is, well, a Satanist. He was imprisoned for murdering his own parents and he was eventually executed on the 4th of February 1999. The good news here is that he actually converted into a Christian before he was executed and this is his story.

"I was 15 years old when I became a Satanist. Today I’m 29. 15 was a lifetime ago. My concept of Satan and God back then was so different from what it is now. At 15 we really do think we know so much, but lock a man in a box for a few years alone, let him get to know himself, let him grow and look again at the world, and what he sees is a world very, very different from the one he perceived at 15.

You know, I had the Satanic Bible practically memorized when I was 16. I’d read that book easily a hundred times. But I didn’t understand why Anton Lavey (more commonly known as the founder of modern Satanism – for more info, Wikipedia him) wrote some of the things he did. I didn’t comprehend Anton’s ideology, his image of Satan or the devil. That also took years.

Back then I saw Satan as a friend to humanity. But that was based on my concept of God, so I guess there is where I need to start. I knew God was the Creator, but the image I had of Him was like some adult. Some authority figure supreme. What did adults do? They made me obey and serve them. They made me clean the house, mow the lawn, fix their drinks, and it was always when they said so, no matter what I was doing at the moment. I’d be watching TV in my room and my dad would holler at me. I’d come to the living room and he’d be sitting in his recliner with his feet up, an empty cup in his hand. “Fix me another drink,” he’d say, handing me the glass. He worked all day, so when he got home I served him. I was just a kid after all. What did it matter if I had been at school all day and had football practice and done homework? What did it matter if I was missing some stupid movie? Of course when I obeyed I was praised. When I did my chores I was given money. That was authority to me. That was God to me. God had His rules. And boy there were lots of them! He demanded you to do things His way, how He wanted, when He wanted, never mind what you wanted. If you obeyed, He’d reward you. Heaven. If you disobeyed, He’d punish you. Hell. There was no freedom there.

And because I saw God like that, Satan grew to become a liberator from that arbitrary authority. Evil represented freedom. If I did what I wanted, that was evil. Well…evil felt good. Everything God required was stifling, oppressing and full of rules. If I got mad and wanted to cuss back what was so wrong about that? If someone hit me what was so wrong about hitting him back? If I wanted to have sex what was wrong about it? What was wrong was that God said it was wrong. That was it. That was the only thing that made it wrong. Well… to hell with God then! Who cared about His stupid rules? Satanism said not only were God’s rules arbitrary, they were designed to keep us frustrated and controlled. It was natural to want sex, and to get angry, and to defend ourselves, and natural meant right.

FAI

1 Comments:

Blogger Eu Bing said...

Good stuff. Keep em coming uncle Fai!
Oh and don't worry about the christians. A better understanding of other beliefs and virtues does sometimes help one understand their own faith a little better.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home